Talks / Posters
- Carlowen A. Smith, Kevin G. Speer, Ross W. Griffiths. Oceanic Jets in a Laboratory Experiment. Poster presented at 8th Graduate Climate Conference. 2014 Oct 31 - Nov 2; University of Washington Pack Forest Conference Center, Eatonville, WA, USA
- Carlowen A. Smith, Kevin G. Speer, Ross W. Griffiths, Andrew McC. Hogg. A Laboratory Model of Multiple Zonal Jets in the Antarctic Circumpolar Current. Poster presented at 33rd CNLS Conference on Ocean Turbulence. 2013 June 3-7; Santa Fe, New Mexico, USA
- Carlowen Smith, Kevin Speer, Ross Griffiths, Andy Hogg. Laboratory Exploration of Multiple Zonal Jet Regimes. Talk given at: NG21A. Jets and Zonal Flows in Planetary and Astrophysical Fluid Dynamics I. AGU Fall Meeting, 2012 Dec 3-7; San Francisco, CA
- Carlowen Smith, Kevin Speer. Characterizations of Multiple Zonal Jets in the Laboratory, Poster presented at: JETS, PLUMES, EDDIES, AND WAVES AS A LINK BETWEEN ANISOTROPIC MESOSCALE OCEAN DYNAMICS AND GENERAL CIRCULATION.16th Ocean Sciences Meeting; 2012 Feb 20-24; Salt Lake City, UT.
- Carlowen Smith, Eric Mortenson, Nicolas Wienders, Elizabeth Simons, Kevin Speer. Hydrography of Apalachicola Bay. Poster presented at: Northern Gulf Institute Annual Conference; 2011 May 17-19; Mobile, AL.
- Programming in MATLAB, UNIX/Linux Shell Scripting, FORTRAN 2003, CSS, HTML, PHP, Microsoft Office, Open Office Suites, LaTeX
© Carlowen Smith 2005-2017
- Fall 2016: Lecturer, Elementary Oceanography (OCE1001), Department of Earth, Ocean, and Atmospheric Sciences, Florida State University.
- Fall 2014: Guest Lecturer, PHY4936: Hydrodynamics for Astrophysics, Florida State University.
- Designed and presented laboratory demonstrations of fluid dynamics concepts and instabilities for grad/undergrad astrophysics class.
- Fall 2012, Fall 2013: Guest Lecturer, OCE1001: Elementary Oceanography, Florida State University.
- Designed and presented laboratory demonstrations of basic physical oceanography concepts for an honors class of undergraduates.
- Spring 2013 Teaching Assistant, GFD Lab Methods Class
Laboratory methods class for doctoral students
- Prepared and presented laboratory demonstration lectures
- Managed student project needs and equipment
- Summer 2012 Research Supervisor, Young Scholars Program
- Fall 2010, Spring 2011, Spring 2012, Fall 2012, Fall 2014, Spring 2015: Teaching Assistant, OCE1001: Elementary Oceanography, Department of Earth, Ocean, and Atmospheric Sciences, Florida State University
- Aug 2005-2007: Physics Demo Room Intern, Department of Physics and Astronomy, University of North Carolina-Chapel Hill.
- Set up and assisted with physics demonstrations in academic and public lectures
- Created new demonstrations and repaired old equipment